- For the duration of the website visit using a session cookie; or
- For repeat visits to the website using a persistent cookie.
Cookies are useful for several reasons, including;
- Allowing you to navigate between website pages efficiently
- Stores your preferences
- Improves your website journey
- Creates interaction between you and the websites faster and easier
- Enables websites to target advertising based on your browsing habits
A cookie is a small file that websites put on your computer when you first visit a website which gives you a unique identification for that site. These cookies allow a website to remember your preferences, what pages you have viewed and what is in your shopping basket.
Turning your cookies off
Even though cookies are harmless, if you do not want target advertisements following your website browsing usage you can turn off your cookie settings and block or delete the cookies that have been automatically set.
However, by doing this it may make some website functions unusable.
For any further information, please contact Cyber Advisory Service, InfoLab21, Lancaster University, Lancaster, LA1 4WA. Email email@example.com. Tel 0333 333 8435.